‘and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence’
George Eliot, Middlemarch
Dead dandelions, bald as drumsticks,
swaying by the roadside
like Hare Krishna pilgrims
bowing to the Juggernaut.
They have given up everything.
Gold gone and their silver gone,
humbled with dust, hollow,
their milky bodies tan
to the colour of annas.
The wind changes their identity:
slender Giacomettis, Doré’s convicts,
Rodin’s burghers of Calais
with five bowed heads
and the weight of serrated keys . . .
They wither into mystery, waiting
to find out why they are,
patiently, before nirvana
when the rain comes down like vitriol.
“Dandelions” by Craig Raine
I believe that both 'Flaubert's Parrot' and 'England-England' hide "l'art où les tableaux de la nature, les actions des humains, tous les phénomènes concrets ne sauraient se manifester eux-mêmes ; ce sont là des apparences sensibles destinées à représenter leurs affinités ésotériques avec des Idées primordiales".
Post by Nurses with Wounds on Apr 1, 2015 2:20:13 GMT -5
- April at last! How many times have you tried today?
- I didn’t get the chance. Someone got me first!!
- Girls,girls,you are not going to believe what I learned today about Julian Barnes!
- What? Did he make reality “the hot bath,the glass of wine next to the taps and the exceptionally sharp Japanese carving knife?”
- Of course NOT. He had the bath, drank the wine and used the knife to slice salmon…Are you serious?
- She is right silly woman,that was all part of promoting his new book ‘Levels of Life’. Go on tell us. What did you find out?
- Well,Natalia told me that when she dropped by unexpectedly last week ,found Julian Barnes standing in front of a mirror,holding a bottle of wine and rehearsing this www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8 - NO WAY! Julian Barnes is a truly CLASS Act. Only a narcissist like Martin Amis could do this.
- But Martin is NOT a lonely boy?! He has a wife,3 daughters and a dozen ex-lovers. That’s enough, don’t you think?
- You are right ,but there is no way Julian Barnes would listen this kind of music. Was it back in the mid 90s that he chose music in the Desert Island Discs and guess his favourite track?
- Don't you ever consider bringing this book in here. His ‘Book of Strange New Things’ is more suitable!!
- Well, he does look a bit strange Himself, Avant-garde maybe? But he is not 60 yet!
- Yes, but he is neither 25. I wonder why he didn’t choose a track that would suit both his ‘Book of Strange New Things’ and his personal life? Something like www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8QI6-KKhM
- He might do so if they invite him in the ‘Desert Island Discs’?
- In the Desert Island Discs Programme, they invite people like Julian Barnes who make sure to keep the Island DESERTED. However, I have to admit that I would not waste 7,99$ for the Belgian folk band singing about “SATANIC PEACE”?! I would go for my Anonymous Sexy French boys FAUVE www.youtube.com/watch?v=519_pOvP9xs - Speaking about Sexy, look who is here!